WELCOME TO ROSSINGTON HALL
Data Fata Secutus – Following My Destiny…
The land that is now Rossington Hall estate was part of Rossington Common, which originally belonged to the Salvyn family and was let to the Earl of Northumberland during the reign of Henry VI.
In 1771 Doncaster Corporation elected Mr James Stovin as town clerk and a year after this leased him the Rossington Estate. James moved in to the newly constructed mansion, then named ‘Shooters Hill’, around 1778.
From 1801, Michael Humble lived at the mansion for 20 years after which he then let the house to Major Hilton in 1822, and then to Richard Francis Alexander Freeman Esq in 1838. In 1838 the estate sold to James Brown Esq. Mr Brown unfortunately passed away in 1845 aged just 59 and the estate was passed onto his son, James Brown Junior. Mr Brown occupied the home until his death in 1877 and the estate was inherited by his closest living relative, Richard James Streatfield.
It is believed to be around 1879-1881 that the original Shooters Hill was sadly destroyed by fire, although no official documentation exists.
The new house, which stands today, was built and ready for occupation in 1883. The new building incorporated a portico, entrance hall, dining room, library, staircase hall, conservatory, drawing room, two sitting rooms, billiards room, 22 bedrooms and a bathroom and was built at a cost of around £60,000. During this time the building seemed to lose its name of Shooters Hill and became known as the name that still stands today, Rossington Hall.
Richards James Streatfield lived at the hall with his wife and his only daughter, Annette until his death in 1931, following his wife who died in 1903. Annette inherited Rossington Hall and became ‘tenant for life’, however this was to be cut short as Annette sadly passed away shortly after in 1937.
Some rumours suggest that Annette still has presence in the hall, and resides in the attic. The famous photograph of the ‘Ghost of Rossington Hall’ is said to be Annie, one link being with Annette.
In 1939 the house was sold at auction to the Roman Catholic Order, The White Fathers. The house was then used as a training college for training missionary priests for Africa until war was declared and the hall was requisition. An Indian regiment and the Royal Veterinary Corps were based there until 1946.
In 1948 Doncaster Corporation purchased the hall for £18,000 and Rossington Hall became a school for children with special needs in 1953 until its closure in 2008.
Unoccupied in recent years, the hall had fallen into a sad state. In May 2011, Rossington Hall and its estate were sold to local couple Gary and Michelle Gee and the hall is being restored to its former Victorian glory.
Since opening in the summer of 2012, Rossington Hall has established itself as a luxury wedding, conference and dining venue and is attracting guests from around the region and beyond.
To view our privacy notice please visit: